Jackson Hole Land Trust

Last night, I went to what will become an annual event for me. It was the Jackson Hole Land Trust Picnic. The food was great, the scenery inspirational, and the common purpose of the guests uplifting. A large white tent on the Bar BC Ranch off of Spring Gulch Jackson Hole Land Trust PicnicRoad was the epicenter of the festivities. Music, a raptor demonstration, and an open bar with coolers filled with cans of local beer led off the meal. Of course, a shot of Wyoming Whiskey helped put me in the proper frame of mind as well. Then generous helpings of barbecue (and for those that know me well generous helpings is an understatement) – followed by cake, strawberries and whipped cream left me satiated.
The Jackson Hole Land Trust is a private, non-profit organization that strives to preserve the incredible vistas, necessary wildlife habitat and open spaces that all of us love. Despite the fact that 97% of Teton County is park land, the remaining 3% is privately held and without careful stewardship could result in permanently changing the unique character of Jackson Hole. The Land Trust strategically identifies critical land that must be protected for the enjoyment of future generation. It then works with land owners and local government to protect land from further development through donations, purchaseIMG_1018_0087s and conservation easements.
Whether you are a resident or a visitor there is something refreshing about mingling with more than a hundred people in a magical setting with just enough of a cool breeze to balance any heat generated from the setting sun. It was easy to spot friendships being renewed and new ones formed. We ran into friends of our daughter and their new baby. Just last year my twenty-something year old kids tubed the Snake River with them and had a fabulous time. Of course, once my wife spotted their newborn, she just had just had to hold that baby for as long as she could.
And by the way – if future years work like this one, you can make a last minute decision to show up. They were happy to register me at the door. Not being certain that I could do that, I drove to the location earlier in the day to make sure it was OK to sign up and pay my money at the event. I was looking for a “warm fuzzy” that it was fine since their web site said reservations need to be made by July 30, but was only able to get a telephone number to call. Sure enough, within a couple of hours I received a message that we were welcome. The forty dollar per person charge was a great value for a worthy cause.

Speak Your Mind